Project of revitalization of St. Michael’s Fortress
European Regional Development Fund, IPA IIIC - BRI
Project holder: City of Šibenik
Partners: Croatian National Theatre in Šibenik, Šibenik City Museum, Šibenik Tourist Board
Tomislav Krajina, dipl.ing.arh.
Situs d.o.o., Šibenik
Date of commencement and end of the project: 28 April 2012 - 15 July 2014
Total value of the project: 1.666.436,16 EUR
Approved amount from EU funds: 999.947,40 EUR
Amount of national co-financing: 666.488,76 EUR
- Contribution to the sustainable economic growth of Šibenik and the surrounding region through the development and broadening of cultural tourism.
- Rehabilitation and upgrading of the tourist infrastructure as well as the adaptation of St. Michael’s Fortress as a new tourist attraction, which aims to create innovative cultural and artistic, educational and other facilities.
- Engaging small and medium companies in the development and the supply of content, products and services on St. Michael’s Fortress and the area of Šibenik.
- The project included infrastructural works on a surface of 2600 m2, involving the construction and the furnishing of the open-air stage with 1077 seats, as well as the adaptation of the underground part of the fortress.
- Several studies and plans were prepared (Cultural Brand of the City of Šibenik, Cultural Assets Management Plan and Development Plan of the St. Michael’s Fortress Program, among others)
- Cultural turistic offer of the City of Šibenik was presented at 3 international fairs.
- 4 educational programs with more than a hundred participants were organized.
- A help-desk activity of 50 hours of consulting services to interested local stakeholders was organized.
- Promotional materials about the project, St. Michael’s Fortress and the City of Šibenik in 6 languages were prepared.
- Promotional video and a multimedia presentation were produced.
- Panoramic telescopes on the fortress towers were installed.
- Replicas of medieval weapons were made alongside designing 20 medieval costumes for the fortress staff.
- A musical and theatrical spectacle was organized for the grand opening of the revitalized fortress and the open-air stage. The Fortress was opened by the Croatian president Ivo Josipović with an appropriate speech.
What makes the project successful
- St. Michael's Fortress contributes to the sustainable economic development of the city and the county.
- The fortress generates innovative cultural and artistic, educational and other programs, within which renowned Croatian and foreign artists from the world of music and performing arts performed on the open-air stage: Maksim Mrvica, 2Cellos, Ensemble Lado, The National, Nouvelle Vague, Arsen, Gabi and Matija Dedić, and many others.
- Successful cooperation with entities in the tourism sector in the area of Šibenik and its surroundings was achieved, mainly with travel agencies and major hotel companies.
- Direct sales in electronic systems over the Internet was set up to increase the accessibility and promotion of cultural events at the Fortress.
St. Michael's Fortress today
- a recognizable monument of cultural heritage in the very heart of the old town, daily accessible to visitors, which promotes revalorization and revitalization of Croatian cultural assets
- one of the most prestigious stages in the region, which organizes various cultural, musical and theatrical events, thus contributing to the image of the Republic of Croatia, and especially the city of Šibenik, as must-see destinations of cultural tourism.