Barone: Redescovering the rich past, the way to a successful future
European Regional Development Fund, IPA IIIC
Project Management: City of Šibenik
Partners: Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture of University in Zagreb; István Dobó Castle Museum; Šibenik City Museum; Šibenik Tourist Board
Achitectural studio 25,4mm d.o.o. (25zarez4mm.hr)
Ivana Lozić, mag.ing.arch.
Marko Paić, ing.arch.
Petar Reljanović, ing.aedif.
Antonio Šunjerga, designer
Date of commencement and end of the project: June 17th, 2014 to January 21st, 2016
Project value: 1.377.165,38 EUR
EU funds financing: 993.900,25 EUR
Co-financing from own funds: 383.265,13 EUR
- Contribute to improve public and tourism related infrastructure in order to increase the Šibenik-Knin County welfare.
- Contribute to promotion of cultural attractions and boosting of local SMEs by providing high-tech innovative services.
- Establish an innovative and unique regional cultural attraction and a platform for promotion of local SMEs in the tourist sector
- Infrastructural works on the renovation of the fortress, equipment of the gastro-cultural centre, the children's playground, and the construction of amphitheatre.
- Within the high-tech content, a historical documentary has been made.
- The augmented reality platform and other multimedia features have been purchased and equipped.
- Various educational programmes:
- Management of the cultural goods - participants were future employees of the managing structure of the Barone Fortress
- New possibilities for presentation on the revitalized Barone Fortress - participants were SME's from Šibenik-Knin county
- How old stories can become the new tourist attractions – the art of storytelling and augmented reality in the new-age tourism - participants were tour guides
- Study of tourist needs, preferences and trends in Šibenik-Knin county has been made, along with various tourist packages which include Barone Fortress.
- An exclusive ecological brandBarone has been developed. It was used for the presentation of the traditional gastro-cultural products on the Fortress.
- Barone Fortress has been promoted on the international tourist Fair in Vienna.
Barone Fortress today
- A recognizable monument of cultural heritage in the city of Šibenik, daily accessible to visitors, which promotes revalorization and revitalization of Croatian cultural assets.
- A unique tourist attraction, which combines the past, present and the future by displaying the circumstances of a vital historical event through modern technology.
- Promotes the celebrated Mediterranean diet and lifestyle.
- Barone Fortress becomes a top destination in the region, thus contributing to the image of the Republic of Croatia, and especially the city of Šibenik, as must-see destinations of cultural and historical tourism.